White Acre Peas Recipe
White Acre peas mature to a golden yellow color. Due to the number of pods, their shape changes from a kidney-shaped pea to a square-oval. Although smaller than black-eyed, White Acre peas can be larger than the cream pea ‘lady’ variety. White Acre peas are mildly nutty with a creamy texture. if you are a fan of peas in your food then you should must try peas soup with truffle oil as its great too taste and nutritious for your body.
White Acre peas are semi-crowder or cream peas because they have a slightly crowded pod. However, the seeds are not as crowded as some crowder pea varieties. They are often called cowpeas, field peas, or cowpeas. They are closely related to purple-hulled, black-eyed, and pink-eyed peas.
White Acre peas are a staple food in Southern United States kitchens. White Acre peas are delicious when eaten fresh from the pod. As a side dish, sautee the pods with butter or oil and season with salt and pepper. Peas are typically shelled and slow-simmered in water with some onion, salt, and bacon. The dish is traditionally served with a slice of cornbread or biscuit.
White Acre peas are great with butter, onions, and stewed greens. Okra can be a thickener to give the peas a more “grassy” taste. After the White Acre peas have dried, they are harvested and shelled. To reconstitute them, they can be left to soak overnight. Fresh peas can be stored for up to six months by freezing them.
White acre peas are a nutritious and delicious choice to add to your recipe. These tiny legumes are rich in fiber, protein, essential vitamins, and minerals, making them an excellent addition to any meal. Even though they are small, white acre beans pack a huge flavor punch that will please even the pickiest eaters.
Recipe 1: Smoked White Acre Peas Recipe
Another mouthwatering recipe that uses white peas and gravy spices is this one. This recipe is even more appealing because of its unique, smoky flavor. Let’s now see how to make white-acre peas that have a smokey texture.
- 2 sticks of unsalted butter (any flavor)
- 1 cup chopped onions
- Minced 1-2 cloves of garlic
- 1 lb smoked pork or ham (any choice).
- To taste, add 1/2 teaspoon salt and black pepper.
- 1 can white acre peas
- Garnish with 2 teaspoons of parsley.
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
Step-by-Step Methods for Preparing:
- Melt the unsalted butter sticks in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic. Season the dish with salt and pepper to bring out the flavor and gravy. Add the white peas to the pot.
- Once you have a browned-colored fried onion, add the smoked pork or ham and cook for five minutes.
- Add the peas from the white acre to the saucepan and season with salt and pepper. To make the gravy smokey, add water. Mixture for 5 minutes. Cover the pot with a lid and heat on medium-high heat.
- Once the peas are soft and tender, remove them from the saucepan and place them in a serving dish. Sprinkle lemon juice over the top. Garnish with parsley, lemon zest and
The mouthwatering savory white acre pea recipes are now ready to be enjoyed.
Recipe 2: Southern White Acre Peas
- Fresh and frozen shelled white acre peas
- Smoked bacon hock, a piece of bacon containing smoked ham hock
- Garlic and onion
- Ground black pepper, kosher salt
- Olive oil or bacon grease
- Optional fresh parsley garnish
Step-by-Step Methods for Preparing:
- On medium heat, add bacon grease or olive oils to a saucepan. When the pan is hot, add the onion. Cook for six to seven minutes. Then add the garlic, and cook for another minute. To ensure that the garlic doesn’t burn, watch it carefully.
- Add the ham hock or any pork product, peas, and water. Season with kosher salt and pepper. Pour in more water until the legumes are covered by about an inch. Bring the water to a boil by turning up the heat.
- Turn down the heat and allow the legumes to simmer for 20-25 minutes. To check the seasoning, taste a few and see if they’re done. Continue cooking for a few minutes if they are not done.
- If desired, garnish with fresh parsley and serve immediately.
How to Cook White Acre Peas in an Instant Pot?
- Three cups of fresh peas should be rinsed and drained in a colander.
- Slice 1 small onion and 3 bacon slices in small pieces.
- Set the instant pot to SAUTE, and add two tablespoons of butter.
- Cook the bacon and diced onion until they are done.
- Add 2 cups chicken stock, 2 branches of fresh parsley, and 2 cups white acre peas.
- Season with salt & pepper
- Turn the Instant Pot to BEANS, and let it heat for 15 minutes.
- For another 15 minutes, let the steam naturally escape.
- Allow the steam to escape, then drain the peas of any water remaining and serve immediately.
White Acre Pea Stew Recipe
This white acre peas stew tastes great and is easy to find at your local grocery store. This is how to make this hearty stew.
- White acre peas: White acre peas are the main ingredient in this stew. You can purchase them at most grocery stores but may also find them at farmer’s markets. They are easy to find if you look hard enough. Fresh white acre peas seem the best.
- Olive Oil: Olive oil is great for cooking. It is very healthy and low in fat. You can also substitute Avocado oil and coconut oil for olive oil. You can use whatever you have in your kitchen.
- Carrot: Fresh carrots will not only add flavor, but also color the stew. Use a medium-sized, fresh carrot. Before using, peel it and cut it into small pieces.
- White onion: Thanks to the white onion, the stew has a savory taste. For this purpose, you can use either white or red onions. Also, ensure to chop it well.
- Garlic cloves: Garlic adds a savory flavor to the dish. Garlic’s garlicky flavor shines through in the stew.
- Thyme: Thyme’s flavor and aroma are divine.
- Garlic powder: Add garlic powder to enhance the garlicky, savory flavor of the stew.
- Onion powder: The same goes for onion powder.
- Paprika: Paprika adds heat to stews with a distinctive, sweet taste.
- Smoked paprika: Smoked paprika gives the stew a unique flavor and enhances its flavor.
- Cayenne pepper: To bring in more heat, use cayenne pepper. You can substitute Cayenne with red chili powder and scotch bonnet.
- Vegetable broth: Vegetable broth gives the stew flavor and body. It helps cook the ingredients and sets the stew’s consistency.
- Coconut Milk: This gives the stew a creamy taste.
- Salt: Salt is an essential ingredient in any food. Add salt to any dish according to your personal taste.
How to make White Acre Pea Stew?
It is easy to make white acre peas stew. You can make this rich and delicious stew in 20 minutes. This is a step-by-step guide on how to make this delicious stew.
- Sort the white acre peas first to remove the bad ones, stalks, and gunk. Then wash them to get rid of any dirt or debris.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan or pot. Add chopped onions and sauté until softened and translucent.
- Next, add minced garlic to the pan and saute it for a minute or so until it becomes fragrant.
- Add the diced carrots and thyme leaves and cook for about a minute.
- Add onion powder and garlic powder to the smoked paprika or paprika mixture. Mix all ingredients together well.
- Add washed, rinsed white-acre peas to a bowl and stir well.
- Add the vegetable broth and coconut milk to the saucepan. Bring it to a boil.
- After it boils, boil the heat and allow it to simmer for 20 minutes or until the peas become tender.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and add the contents to the bowl. Garnish with fresh parsley, then serve.
Do you have to blanch white acre peas?
White acre peas freeze exceptionally well but must blanch them first before freezing. The natural enzymes that promote the ripening process of white acre peas get stopped by blanching.
To blanch peas, boil them for 90 seconds in boiling water. Then, immediately plunge them into icy-cold to stop the cooking process. Allow the peas to cool down before draining them. After they have cooled, place them in plastic bags. Then put them in the freezer. They will stay fresh for many months.
This method can blanch and preserve any field of green peas. They will keep their freshness and flavor. Frozen peas will cook at the same time as fresh ones.
White acre peas are a healthy and delicious side dish. White acre peas, field peas, are high in protein and fiber. They are mild in flavor and can be paired with many foods.
White acre peas are easy to cook. Simply simmer them in water until they become tender. Add your favorite seasonings, and then enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the advantages of white peas?
White Acre peas are rich in fiber and protein. They also contain the minerals calcium, iron, and magnesium. Southern peas, such as the White Acre variety, contain the essential amino acids tryptophan and lysine.
What is the name of the little white peas?
Southern White Acre Peas are a variety of cowpeas. It brings back warm summer days and farmers’ markets bursting with fresh produce. Originally fed to livestock, these legumes have become an integral part of Southern cooking.
Can you freeze them?
White acres freeze well. When they are available, people always try to purchase at least one gallon and freeze them. To stop natural enzymes from causing them to ripen, you must blanch them.
Are Zipper Peas and White Acre Peas the Same?
White acre peas are often confused with other field peas like lady and zipper peas. White acre peas are smaller than those zipper peas. Their color ranges between pale yellow and light brown. While white acre peas range from light yellow to green, but theirs are smaller. Lady peas are sweeter and creamier than white acre peas.
I am a kitchen expert and connoisseur of food with decades of cooking experience who loves to cook a variety of scrumptious food item to awaken the taste buds of people who eat my food. I know a lot about kitchen utensils and appliances and here to share my years of knowledge about the best kitchen products with you.
With his gumption, alacrity along with astute acumen to pick the authentic and best quality ingredients from across the world to make the scrumptious recipes which soothes the taste buds of eater has made him the name on which people can count on when it comes to cooking advice, world class meals and cuisines native to the different cities of world.
His unique ability improvise and make dishes with different raw produce and ingredients in less time which are delicious and relished by the guests has made Tushar leader in the arena of cooking.