Roasted Beet and Lentil Salad
I guess I can see why some people aren’t down with beets. Roasted Beet and Lentil Salad is quite nutritious and tasty to eat.
They’re a bit funky looking, and most people seem to have some unpleasant childhood beet memories. Just like peas, lima beans and brussels sprouts before them, beets get tossed in the mental “icky healthy food” bin without a fair fight!
You can’t just slop some plain boiled peas or a pile of raw shredded beets on a plate and expect your kid (or anyone, for that matter) to rejoice.
Beets deserve a bit more attention.
A little time and love, that’s all they’re asking for.
I like to do a roast/steam situation for my beets. You put them in a dish with a little olive oil, cover it in foil and forget about them until they’re done! If you aren’t working in bulk, you can always roast one beet in a foil pouch, much like you would for roasting garlic.
But today we aren’t stopping at beets. There’s a whole salad to be made! One that I think could convert a beet hater or two. I’m curious to find out if it would change the mind of my mom, who swears beets taste like dirt.
There is an earthiness to them, yes. But dirt?!
Well, if there are people who think cilantro tastes like soap… who knows.
These earthy beets get paired with earthy lentils, because they’re friends like that. It’s all going to get tossed in an extremely acidic dressing, so never fear.
The salad gets mixed with fresh celery, then topped with salty feta cheese and crunchy walnuts.
The really great thing about this salad is that each of the two main components can be prepared ahead of time and left to chill in the fridge for a good week. So if you happen to roast beets or cook lentils in large batches like I do, you’re in luck!
ROASTED BEET AND LENTIL SALAD RECIPE
- 6 small beets, scrubbed and trimmed
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups french green lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped celery leaves
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- finely grated zest of one lemon
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons finely minced shallot
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place the beets and rosemary in an oven-proof dish and drizzle lightly with olive oil. Cover the dish with foil and roast for 40-60 minutes, depending on the size of the beets. They’re done when a knife goes through the beet easily. When cooled enough to handle, rub the skin off the beets and cut however you like.
- While the beets roast, prepare the lentils. Combine the lentils, garlic, bay leaf and 3 cups water in a medium pot. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook uncovered for 20-25 minutes or until tender. (You may need to add extra water, just enough to cover, as they cook.) Drain the lentils, remove the garlic and bay leaf, and add salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients and season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the beets, lentils, celery, and some of the celery leaves; toss to combine. Top the salad with the remaining celery leaves, feta cheese, and walnuts.
I am a kitchen expert and connoisseur of food with decades of cooking experience who loves to cook a variety of scrumptious food item to awaken the taste buds of people who eat my food. I know a lot about kitchen utensils and appliances and here to share my years of knowledge about the best kitchen products with you.
With his gumption, alacrity along with astute acumen to pick the authentic and best quality ingredients from across the world to make the scrumptious recipes which soothes the taste buds of eater has made him the name on which people can count on when it comes to cooking advice, world class meals and cuisines native to the different cities of world.
His unique ability improvise and make dishes with different raw produce and ingredients in less time which are delicious and relished by the guests has made Tushar leader in the arena of cooking.